There are people out there that seem to think or at least try to force the narrative of a simple dichotomy: either we accept Putin is doing it or it's WW3. Any normal person would find the choices here to be nauseating either way. If history is to serve a lesson, the first option often leads to the second option. But this dichotomy really illustrates the parameter that most people don't pick up on.
The West is Morally Weak
How Should the West Respond?
The Basics that Should Happen
- Diplomatic relations suspended. All Western countries move their diplomats out of Russia and kick the Russian diplomats out of Western countries.
- The West stops buying Russian oil. This should be quite obvious.
- Provide Ukraine with full support: weapons, intel, training and liquidity.
- A complete sanction of Russian business in Western countries. Yes this will suck for local businesses, but this helps to end wars quicker because it hurts Russia.
- Freeze bank accounts of all Russian businesses, banks, business leaders, any and all government officials, any assets held in the West. There may be some difficult conversations in the UK with regards to BP owning a portion of Russia's state owned oil company.
- The removal of Russia from global organizations like SWIFT, WHO, etc.
Advanced Items that Should Happen
- Cyber Attacks. Attacks have been happening in the West from Russia and China for years without a single response. If there was a time to retaliate, it is now. Government servers, bank servers, business servers and for me, any computer in Russia is fair game - even ordinary people's computers.
- A total block on trade with Russia. The UK has plans to limit a few key products in their plan to isolate. I mean everything. The point is to crush their economy and remove the will of the people to accept/tolerate/support this operation.
- Oil embargo. Instead of not buying the oil, Russia is thwarted from selling it's oil and gas. I realize you can't stop it completely, due to the geography. The point is that the West can make it so difficult to sell. This can be part physically blocking it from movement and also pressing on countries with sanctions that buy it.